Apple-Ginger Pudding Recipe
Category: Desserts /
6 tablespoon butter
3 cup apples; peeled cored and sliced
3 tablespoon plus 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup finely diced crystalized ginger
3 1/2 cup firm textured white bread in 1/2 cu; bes
2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1. Butter a six to 8 cup mold, casserole or baking dish.
2. Melt two tablespoons of the butter in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. When the foam subsides. add the apples, increase to high and saute the apples, turning them frequently for about 5 minutes until they begin to color. Do not allow them to become soft or lose their shape.
3.Add three tablespoons of sugar and saute another minute or two until the sugar begins to carmelize. Stir in the crystalized ginger, remove from heat and transfer the apples and ginger to a bowl.
4. Reduce heat to low, add the remaining four tablespoons of butter to the skillet. When the butter has melted, scrape the pan to loosen any bits of carmelized sugar clinging to it. Add the bread cubes and toss them in the butter until they are evenly coated.
5. Scatter half the apples and ginger into the baking dish.Cover with half the bread cubes. Repeat the layers.
6. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
7. Lightly beat the eggs and one-half cup of sugar. Scald the milk. Slowly pour the scalded milk in a thin stream into the egg mixture, stirring constantly. Stir in the vanilla and ground ginger. Pour over the apples and bread in the baking dish.
8. Set the dish in a pan and add boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the baking dish. Place in the middle of the oven and bake 45 minutes, until the top is crusty and golden. Serve while still warm.
Recipe by: Florence Fabricant - NY Times - September 29, 1985
Related Recipes You May Like: