Apple Hearth Bread Recipe
1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups unsifted all-purpose
1 pkg rapid-rising dry yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup very warm water (120 degrees to
130 degrees f)
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon butter
1 large golden delicious or other
1 sweet firm apple, peeled, cored,
1 and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
1/4 teaspoon coarse (kosher) salt
Sweet apples and salty bread provide an intriguing contrast in taste. To ensure that the hearth bread remains light and crisp, keep the dough soft: Don't work in too much flour and knead it gently.
Makes 1 loaf (6 servings)
1. In large bowl of heavy-duty electric mixer, combine 1 1/2 cups flour, the yeast, and salt. Slowly beat in water, 1/4 cup olive oil, and the honey; vigorously beat mixture 10 minutes. Cover bowl with clean cloth and let dough rise in warm place, away from drafts, 40 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt butter. Add apple slices and saute' until very lightly browned; set aside.
3. After dough has risen 40 minutes, turn out onto floured surface. Gently knead in as much of remaining 1/4 cup flour as necessary to form a very soft dough - about 1 minute. Gently work apple slices into the dough.
4. Lightly oil large baking sheet. With floured fingers, shape dough into a 9 inch round on oiled sheet. Cover with clean cloth and let rise in warm place, away from drafts, until double in size - about 30 minutes.
5. Heat oven to 400 degrees F. With pastry brush, coat top of dough round with 2 tablespoons olive oil; sprinkle with coarse salt, if desired. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until hearth bread is browned.
6. Drizzle hearth bread with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and serve warm.
Nutritional information per serving - protein: 4 grams; fat: 20 grams; carbohydrate: 34 grams; fiber: 2 grams; sodium: 195 milligrams; cholesterol: 5 milligrams; calories: 335.
From: Country Living, September, 1992.
Related Recipes You May Like: